Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: El Dorado National Forest trail system, Pollock Pines, CA  (Read 8802 times)
GS

View Profile
« on: January 31, 2011, 08:05:10 am »

There is a system of offroad trails in the El Dorado National Forest, that can be connected to from Mormon Immigrant Trail, up past Sly Park Lake. Currently snowed in, usually re-opens in May after the mud subsides. I picked up some trail maps last year from the Ranger station in Camino. More trails are also available further up HWY 50, in the area of Ice House Lake.
Justin

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 10:28:31 am »

This sounds awesome, I've been up to the lakes up there and its nice scenery. Looking forward to do the trails when the snow melts for sure. Would I be okay just having a green sticker?

'91 Sandrail-'75 914
Justin
GS

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 10:59:09 am »

From what I remember of the trail maps, green sticker and red sticker vehicles were OK on most trails. I would have to defer to the forest service on the rules, though.
GS

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 11:07:47 am »

There is a smallish system of trails in Camino/Apple Hill/Pollock Pines, if you go out Cable Rd, which is part of the EDNF trail system. The guy I bought my Bug from told us about them. We did take a few rides out there, and the trail exploring, mud, and hill climbs were nice. We found out later that it was closed at the time for erosion prevention, so we didn't return until it re-opened, after that.

Following Jrp916's lead with the videos:
1970DARKNESS
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 10:06:02 pm »

I have been out on cable a few times in the baja but mostly on my supermoto. Its an ok road but I have gone everywhere there is to go out there. Mosquito road has some trails out past swansburo,  but some of those trails are crazy and technical and I don't remember exactly how to get back to them. Been out there on my supermoto too. This is me out off mosquito rd.http://m.youtube.com/index?client=mv-google&desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US&rdm=25#/watch?xl=xl_blazer&v=ehRZZrCqaMk
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 10:14:02 pm by 1970DARKNESS » Logged
1970DARKNESS
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 10:07:42 pm »

Forebay road has some decent trails too. That is up in pollock pines about 4 miles up the road from cable.
GS

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 11:39:24 pm »

I didn't find many trails out around Forebay, but I didn't know where to look either.

I was looking into the trails out Mosquito Rd, too, but I haven't been out there yet.
1970DARKNESS
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 11:47:52 pm »

On forebay you have to go all the way down to the bridge and up the other side until it turns into dirt. Then there is a few good trails kinda narrow probably only meant for bikes but that hasn't stoles me before. Out off iron Mountian those trails are fun and there is a couple lookouts you can check out.
baja13

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 03:56:32 pm »

I live in Pollock Pines, right near the lake and Mormon Emmigrant Trail. There are lots and lots of roads out there.  The bummer is that most of it is closed due to snow and won't really open up till June or maybe later. I did a little exploring this fall but plan on doing lots of rides out there this spring and summer.   Tag
baja13

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 03:58:48 pm »

Anytime, anyone wants to ride near Pollock, make sure to give me a heads up. I would love to come along.
1970DARKNESS
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 08:16:45 pm »

Im down for some p pines baja action. I think next weekend is open for me anyone want to do it sunday?
GS

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 09:24:03 pm »

I would be very interested in a Pollock Pines run this weekend. We should all pick a time and location to meet up, then hit the trails. I would suggest meeting in the Safeway parking lot unless the trails we decide on are closer to Sly Park lake. Anyone available around 10AM Saturday or Sunday?
1970DARKNESS
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 09:34:57 pm »

I am 10 am sunday. Like always I work saturday. Safeway parking lot sounds like the best place to meet up.
GS

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 09:55:20 pm »

Oh. This will be Super Bowl sunday. I'm not a big football fan, but I don't think that holds true for most members. Saturday won't work out?
Justin

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 09:58:27 pm »

Is there snow in the way right now up there? I won't be able to do any runs up there until it's drier or I put in aluminum floor pan (got expanded metal floor now). It gets wet with no floor... Lol Grin

'91 Sandrail-'75 914
Justin
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: