Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: 3X3 Build for IRS Baja  (Read 9440 times)
Scooter

View Profile
« on: October 23, 2012, 05:37:10 pm »

Following Justin's lead, I have decided to add 3X3 rear suspension to my Yellow Baja.
The car is a 72 and last year I added beefed up stock trailing arms to it. Greg dialed the spring plates down as far as they can go and there just isn't enough clearance.
There's rocks out there, big uns I tell ya!
I did some exploring on the net after checking Justin's suggestion of the Buggy Barn in Kansas and found Dan's Performance Parts in Southern CA.
Welcome to Dan's Performance Parts, Inc..  We are committed to offering our customers the best customer service available.  We pride ourselves on providing you with the most comprehensive product line of parts for the off-road, sandcar and buggy enthusiast.

If you ever experience a problem with our website or services, please contact us immediately at specialorder@dansperformanceparts.com.  We want to hear from you, your praise and your comments as to how we can serve you better.

If you can't find a part, we'll find it for you. - Just contact us at specialorder@dansperformanceparts.com.

I found this kit with everything a person could want.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3X3 Rear Arm Kit #2

The 3X3 Rear Arm kit #2 has all the components listed below

Pair of standard 3X3 boxed rear trailing arms

2 Inner & 2 Outer bearings

6 Bearing spacers

2 Inner & 2 Outer seal kits

2 Bearing "C" clips

2 Bearing housing caps

2 Axle nuts

2 Stub axle with 930 cv flanges

2 Transmission drive flanges

2 Urethane pivot bushings

4 930 off-road CV's joints

4 930 off-road boot w/ flanges

4 3/8-24 CV bolts

4 CV grease packs

2 Race axles

DPP-3X3KIT-T1 3X3 REAR TRAILING ARM & AXLE 20-1/4" KIT #2 WITH TYPE-1 TRANS DRIVE FLANGES  $ 1059.95** 
DPP-3X3KIT-002 3X3 REAR TRAILING ARM & 19-1/4" AXLE KIT WITH 002 TRANS DRIVE FLANGES  $ 1059.95** 
DPP-3X3KIT-091 3X3 REAR TRAILING ARM & 19-1/4" AXLE KIT WITH 091 TRANS DRIVE FLANGES  $ 1059.95** 

After tax license, dealer prep and shiping the total was a reasonable:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DPP-3X3KIT-091 3X3 KITw/ 19-1/4in AXLES/ 091 DRIVE FLANGES       1     $1,059.95     $1,059.95
               Overweight1                                             $30.00        $30.00
                     Shipping: P-$1000.01-$1500.00 USA Shipping and Handling:        $59.95
                                                                   Sales Tax:        $84.47
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                                                       Total:     $1,234.37
Now you may be saying to your self why by all the extra stuff you can use from the current set up? The answer is simple, I want all new stuff.

More to come...

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend, inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
Its a Play Thing

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 08:23:01 am »

Kit #3 also has the new shocks you will be needing... do you have a cage in the car to tie the upper shock mount to ? 
Scooter

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 09:24:38 am »

No, no cage in the yellow car, hoping to be able to use stock mounts or do something short of additional structure.
That's why I am bringing the car down here, my mechanic is an excellent fabricator.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend, inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
Its a Play Thing

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 11:16:43 am »

You will soon find out you will not be able to use the shocks you are using now, and you will have to build new upper and lower shock mounts.
Justin

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 11:44:58 am »

Awesome! yeah it made a huge difference on the rail, much smoother. Plus its stronger, I bought some stuff from the place in Kansas as there was no sales tax.

I also did the front warrior beam setup which is nice, but I have no weight on the front end to push against the torsion bars. I may go coil over and sell the current front end if your interested, a complete 8.5" shock link pin beam with 2 1/4" longer tweeds arms... and new fox shocks.

'91 Sandrail-'75 914
Justin
Justin

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 10:57:12 pm »

Looks like a good deal here- http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1371772

'91 Sandrail-'75 914
Justin
Justin

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 10:58:17 pm »

In vacaville too...

'91 Sandrail-'75 914
Justin
Scooter

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 09:51:35 am »

Too bad I just bought everything, including new torsion bars.

Justin

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 09:31:35 am »

Well new is always better... Are you looking for a new linkpin front end Smiley

'91 Sandrail-'75 914
Justin
Scooter

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 10:17:19 am »

I will probably leave the front alone. For now at least.
Gotta wait and see how much income Obummer is going to let me keep.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 08:13:59 pm by Scooter » Logged

Greg
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 09:59:25 pm »

Hey Scott -

How's your build coming along? I'm seriously considering changing over from RGB's to an IRS setup with bus box...

Greg
Scooter

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 07:10:06 am »

I am just waiting for torsion bars right now to finish.
My fabricator did most of the workm I think I just got in his way mostly.
I will be posting some pictures soon.
Scott

Scooter

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 08:24:31 pm »

This first picture is just the rear wheel well with everything removed.
This is the right side 3x3 prior to having the shock mount welded on.
The 3x3 installed in the car so that the shock mounts can be fabricated.
The light colored square is a piece of foam rubber material that has a layer of aluminum in it to act as a dust barrier.
This next picture is the shock mount fabricated inside the car.
My fabricator swears it will be strong enough, we'll see.
I am also adding 28mm torsion bars and Swayaway spring plates from Race Ready (Thanks Joe)
I have a new pair of rear fenders coming from Glass Actions in Prescott AZ.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 08:29:54 pm by Scooter » Logged

Scooter

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2012, 08:29:18 pm »

This is an axel flange seal that has been destroyed by running longer axels in the Bajas.
I read on the Samba that this could happen and could cause your tranny fluid to leak out. The small disc was cut away by the axel and was pushed into the hole in the shaft coming out of the transaxel.
The folks on the Samba suggested filling the space in front of the circlip with Ultra Gray RTV silicone. I am going to try that.

Greg
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2012, 08:51:15 pm »

That's an interesting shock mount - curious to see how it holds up with some beating.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: