Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Johnson No-Hop Kit Install  (Read 11123 times)
Greg
Administrator

View Profile
« on: September 08, 2011, 12:10:21 pm »

So I've started tearing down the baja so I can install my NOS Johnson No-Hop kit for the reduction boxes. Put in about two hours last night removing skid plate, rear cage, shocks, and draining the oil from the engine. Next up: disconnect rear wiring, remove engine, remove wheels, and disconnect transmission. Hoping to get this project done within a month or so...seems like time is hard to get these days. I'll start posting some pics soon!
towddude

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 02:50:34 pm »

Looking forward to your pictures. I've got the same kit in the garage that was removed from another buggy. Looks challanging to install.

Bob

If you've done it, it ain't brag'n
Greg
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 04:38:23 pm »

Hey Bob - I think the hardest part of the install is cutting the RGB box collar, pressing out the axle tubes to slide the overtubes on, then reseating it. I have a local machine shop that will press them in/out for me, hopefully they can cut the box collars too. I need to find some Swayaway spring plates too - seem to be out of stock everywhere...

Greg
Greg
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 09:05:45 pm »

Well, I've got the baja completely broken down and ready for the no-hop install. Tasks today included removing transaxle, axle tubes, spring plates, adapters - long morning! I've got the axle tubes cleaned up and ready to drop off at the machine shop on Monday so they can press out tubes, cut collars, slide on overtubes, and press back in. Here are some pictures:

BadDogRacing

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 12:33:03 pm »

That looks like a lot of work. I'll be follolwing this upgrade.
I wonder if the no-hop devise we installed on the Drag Bus would work on a Baja application?

towddude

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 09:37:15 am »

It does indeed look like a lot of work. I'm interested in finding out how well you like it. I have a home made afair on my Burro that seem's to work Ok. I do notice a little rise when I first take off. Kind of like it though. I do get serious hopping when I back up real hard, that I don't like.

Bob

If you've done it, it ain't brag'n
Greg
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 05:04:28 pm »

Well, I'm having a heck of a time getting my new Swayaway spring plates back on the car. For some reason, there is a gap of about .5" when snugging down the torsion covers. As per their instructions, I'm going to file about .002" off of the torsion bar splines to make them go on the bars a tad bit easier. Since they were so tight, I installed the bars outside the vehicle and I'm thinking they might be binding or something which is keeping them from seating the whole way. Hopefully have them fixed tonight Smiley

Greg
captnemo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 10:58:19 pm »

Well, I'm having a heck of a time getting my new Swayaway spring plates back on the car. For some reason, there is a gap of about .5" when snugging down the torsion covers. As per their instructions, I'm going to file about .002" off of the torsion bar splines to make them go on the bars a tad bit easier. Since they were so tight, I installed the bars outside the vehicle and I'm thinking they might be binding or something which is keeping them from seating the whole way. Hopefully have them fixed tonight Smiley

Greg
Hope it goes well- can't wait to hear if it works- After how much that thing hopped at Frank Raines I know it needs it  Grin
Greg
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 08:54:32 pm »

Hey Nemo - yeah, it was bouncy at Frank Raines, wasn't it?  Cheesy

I dropped off the axles at the machine shop to get the tubes pressed and adapters installed today. Should have them back in a couple of days. I also figured out (I think) the spring plate issue. Seems the inside of the torsion bars weren't seating all the way, so I removed everything and made sure they were tapped in and centered. Hoping to finish that on Thursday.
Greg
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 11:14:22 am »

Project update:

I got the axle tubes back from the machine shop, did a great job but way more than I wanted to spend. Yesterday I got the transaxle put back together, installed the lower adapter mounts, and started reassembling the baja. I also replaced the rear brake pads and one cylinder that was leaking in the rear drum. Glad I took apart the transaxle as I found a broken split ring in there. Fortunately I had one laying around I was able to put back in. Found that my drivers side axle splines were a bit buggered, so I need to go find a die or thread chaser to fix that up as I can't screw on the axle nut. Hopefully wrap this project up this week so I can test this weekend.
jsturtlebuggy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 11:42:42 am »

With torsion bars and many other things, AntiSieze is your friend.  Using it on the splines on the torsion bars makes it easier to put back together and in the future to remove them.
What kind of spring plate grommets are you using?
Using the NoHop set you will like it with the way the supension works in the dirt. 

Joseph
Fair Oaks/Orangevale, CA
Elrod Racing
Playing with Dune Buggies,Baja's,Race Cars since 1970
Greg
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2011, 12:09:31 pm »

Hey Joseph - it was actually the stub axle splines that got stripped (just the first few so it's still very useable once fixed). I'm excited to try this out in the dirt to see how she does. Still thinking about doing a IRS conversion some time down the line or maybe I'll get a second project car so I can hit 65 on the freeway...
Greg
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2011, 06:06:31 pm »

So I've got the no-hop kit installed. Took a bit longer than expected, but it's done. Will be reinstalling engine and rear cage over the next few days and hope to try it out this weekend.

oukno

64 Baja, IRS, 4 inch wider King Beam, 1776

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2011, 10:19:14 pm »

Can't wait to hear about the results of this kit
Do you think this will do anything to camber issues?

Rancho Murieta, Ca.
Family & Fabrication
Greg
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2011, 10:26:21 pm »

I don't think this will change camber issues at all - I'm still running with some camber to achieve ground clearance but I'm okay with that. I could level it out but that's no fun Smiley Should help tremendously with the hopping effect though which I'm excited to see.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: